Sunday, January 8, 2017

Have I mentioned my inconsistency?

I can't believe we have only had one week of 2017 and I've already missed two blog posts. Maybe even three.

I'm working on it. Baby steps.

Honestly, there isn't much to say about the last couple of days... It's been cold and snowy and pleasant and simple and sort of disastrous in parts and... well, I'll tell a funny story.

The Boyfriend and I woke up on Friday morning, as did the rest of Oklahoma (mostly), to blankets of snow covering all the things. It was lovely to look at but, as is usually the case, it was a pain in the ass to navigate our life through, particularly for The Boyfriend. He woke up first, before the sun, and took Major and Molly (The Dogs) outside. After, he came back in and woke me with news of snow. The morning so began pleasantly enough, I made breakfast and we casually got dressed for the day. The Boyfriend went out to start my car so it could thaw out and barely inches from the front door, lost his footing on the slick polished concrete and faceplanted directly into the snow. Then, bless his heart, after I brushed him off, he busted his head getting into the car hard enough to rattle his teeth. He came back in to a clogged toilet (we won't point fingers at who was to blame for that) and couldn't use the restroom. At all. We finally leave, he pumps gas in 10 degree air, and two miles later... a flat tire. He handled all of these things like a champ and barely complained, but you could tell this was not a day he was feeling positive about. A couple hours later, a healthy dose of perspective made its way into his afternoon, as it usually does.

A homeless man asked him how his day was. The Boyfriend started telling him about his rough morning, then the realization sank in that he was complaining about his toilet, his house, his front porch, his car to a person that literally has none of the above.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... perspective.

What a blessing Friday ended up being... So much laughter (albeit at his expense) and such a fulfilling and contented life we lead, and I'm just glad he's open minded enough to clean his inner window when it starts getting a little fuzzy... He's pretty good at seeing things clearly.

As I sit here typing, I can see him in my peripheral vision, just standing in the doorway, watching Indiana Jones, a pleasant smile touching the corners of his lips for no reason other than the fact that it's his go-to face... Right now, my window is feeling pretty clean too.

No comments:

Post a Comment